Ambat is a coconut based preparation which is seasoned with finely chopped onions. Vegetables or lentils can be used to make Ambat.
- 200 gms magge/ Mangalore cucumber deskinned and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium sized potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 medium sized onions cubed
- 1 drum stick cut into 2inch pieces
- A handful of cashews halved
- 100 gms pigeonpeas/ tuvar dal pressure cooked and churned
- 1/2 of a small coconut
- 7 Guntur chillies roasted
- 7 Byadgi chillies roasted
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 3 tbsps oil
- 2medium sized onions finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp methi seeds/fenugreek
Pressure cook Mangalore cucumber, potato, cashew and onion in a glass of water with a little salt to just one whistle. After the pressure is released add the drumstick and cook on an open flame till done. Grind the coconut, roasted red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste. Drop it into the cooked vegetables along with the Dal, adjust salt and boil well.
Heat 3 tbsps oil. Add two medium sized onions chopped fine and roast till they are light brown. Add 1/4 tsp methi seeds and continue roasting till the onions become a rich brown. Drop the seasoning into the ambat and boil for a couple of minutes.
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.